PAGE VIEWS

Monday, April 1, 2013

BENEFITS OF A PROJECT STUDIO

The benefits of a project studio outside the home include fewer distractions that have nothing to do with the project. This is the case for me at the City of Ottawa owned Gardener's House at Britannia Beach, March 1 to August 31, 2013.

A month in, I've reviewed my recent 700 Arctic Return research project photos, experimented with new materials and techniques across medium, and at night had some wild dreams that I think relate to my aesthetic concerns.

During the first week I confidently committed with another resident artist that we'd be at the studio everyday by 9:30 am. Instead, its more realistic for me to be at the studio each day by afternoon. This way I can make my appointments in the mornings and avoid breaking my creative flow, when it happens. No internet at the studio is a great benefit for me.

The City has freshly painted the walls and sprayed for spring carpenter aunts. In between everything, I've set-up the studio with materials and equipment.  I'm lucky I have lots of space and great light, and very compatible fellow artist residents.

There are a few experimental prints and paintings on my walls. However, I still feel like I know nothing, and wonder if and when it will come together. Its good having a specific place to go, like this project studio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome. Thank you for your comments